Despite the advancements and improvements in the dental field, many people suffer from tooth loss. The reason could be anything, including trauma, gum disease or gingivitis. Well, implants can help you restore your smile after missing one tooth or many. Dental implants are a type of metal frames or posts that are planted or positioned into your jawbones, beneath your gums by a surgical process. They provide support to dental prosthesis like the crown, facial prosthesis, bridge, denture etc. and act as a sturdy and rigid anchor for replaced teeth. The titanium in the implant fuses with your jawbone and is a proven effective replacement for the tooth root.
Various types of dental implants are available including:
Endosteal Implants - These types of implants are directly placed in the jawbone. They are the most commonly used type of implant and are usually in the shape of the plates, cylinders or small screws.
Subperiosteal Implants – They are placed under the gum, but on, or above the jawbone. It is typically used for patients who have a shallow jawbone or who are unable to undergo a treatment to rebuild it.
You are a good candidate for dental implants if-
- You want to improve your speech.
- You are unable to wear dentures.
- You are not suffering from any ongoing medical or dental conditions that might impede the healing process.
- You have healthy oral tissues.
- You have an adequate bone to secure the implants or able to have a bone graft.
- You have fully developed jaw bone.
- You have one or more missing teeth.
- You can devote several months to the treatment.
- You have healthy gums.
- You are not addicted to tobacco.
- Your damaged tooth is removed and your jawbone is prepared for surgery.
- The implant is surgically placed into the jawbone.
- Osseointegration process- In this process, the bone around the implant is allowed to heal. Osseointegration means "combining with the bone". So, the bone actually grows around the implant, attaches itself directly to the implant, growing all around it and supporting it steadfastly. But this process takes a duration of several months.
- A small connector post known as abutment is attached to the dental implant. It is a minor surgery, which can be done with local anesthesia.
- Before the artificial tooth can be attached, your gums will heal for one or two weeks after the abutment is placed.
- A sample of your bite is taken to have a proper analysis of all your teeth, their type and arrangement. This helps the doctor in designing a replacement tooth or a crown that properly blends with all your natural teeth.
- The color of your crown is also matched according to your natural teeth.
- The implant is properly secured with the jawbone to help the replaced teeth feel and function in a manner similar to your natural teeth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- The dental implants totally look and function much like your real ones. Moreover, they are designed in such a way so that they can fuse with the bone and become permanent.
- They last for a long period of time, generally up to 10 years with proper care.
- They help in reducing strain on other teeth by providing support for crowns, bridges, and dentures.
- Help you eat the delicious foods without facing any pain or trouble.
- No need to remove dental implants every day like in the case of dentures.
At Apollo White Clinic, we offer you best-in-class dental implant treatment, along with excellent consultation and diagnosis facilities, all at one place, in a safe, comfortable and warmth-exuding environment.