Sonomammography is a thorough checkup of the breasts in order to assess their health and evaluate the amount of blood flow inside them. It allows a visualization of the breast tissue in order to examine them thoroughly. A sonomammography is usually performed in conjunction with a mammography in order to study a lump or a mass in the breast tissue.
Who requires a sonomammography?
The first stage of breast screening is called a mammogram. A mammogram is a low-dose x-ray of each breast used to identify tumours and other abnormalities. Mammography testing is accepted widely as one of the most effective methods of breast cancer detection. Early detection also helps in improving the chances of survival.
A sonomammography or breast ultrasound is recommended for women
- Who have a breast tissue that is too thick to be properly assessed by a mammography test
- When a breast lump has been detected in a physical exam
- Who have a family history of breast cancer
Procedure followed in a sonomammography
The sonomammography test follows a simple procedure-
- You are asked to remove your clothes from the waist up and lie down on an examining table.
- A radiologist applies a gel on the breast area and with a linear, high frequency probe, scans the whole chest area as well as the armpits for detecting the presence of any lump or mass.
- Once the procedure is completed, the gel is wiped off and you are free to go!
Benefits of sonomammography
- It is a quick, painless and hassle-free procedure
- It is inexpensive as compared to other breast screening exams, but equally effective
- It is useful in a proper evaluation of breast lumps
- It helps identify if a suspicious mass is a cyst, without aspirating the fluid or breaking the cyst.
Preparations required for a sonomammography
- Inform your doctor about your menstrual cycle in advance, so that your sonomammography test can be scheduled during the time when your breasts are least likely to be tender.
- In case your breasts are generally tender, stopping your caffeine, cola, tea and chocolate intake a week or two before the examination may help reduce the tenderness.
- It is advisable to refrain from using lotion or deodorant on the day of the sonomammography as these may interfere with the results of the test.
At Apollo Clinic, we understand the importance of continuously monitoring women’s health. Which is why we have the most advanced and refined facilities and services so that you can monitor and take care of your health continuously.