Heart disease is a growing concern in the country today with one estimate pegging the number of heart disease patients in India at a whopping 30 million. Doctors assert that early diagnosis is the key to prevent heart disease from proving fatal. At Apollo Clinic, we offer our patients with one of the best ECG test services in the country, in order to keep your heart healthy.
An ECG helps in the following:
- Identify the cause of unexplained chest pressure or pain. The cause could be a heart attack, insufficient blood flow to the heart muscle (angina) or inflammation of the sac that protects and surrounds the heart (pericarditis).
- Identify the cause of symptoms of cardiovascular disease such as palpitations, fainting, dizziness, shortness of breath
- Identify if the walls of the heart chambers are too thick
- Check how efficiently medication is working and whether they are causing any side-effects that affect the heart
- Check how efficiently mechanical devices such as pacemakers implanted in the heart are working
- Check how healthy the heart is when other conditions such as diabetes, cigarette smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, family history of heart disease are present
This is what happens during an ECG :
- You are first asked to lie down on a bed or a table.
- A number of electrodes connected to a machine are then attached to areas on your arms, legs and chest. You may rest assured that no electric shock is passed through your body - the machine simply records the pumping activity in your heart.
- Ensure that you do not move or talk during the course of the ECG as this may affect the graph results that are drawn on paper by the machine.
- The ECG test lasts for about 5 to 10 minutes and is a very safe test.
Make sure that your doctor is well informed of any medication that you might be taking, including over-the-counter pills, as medicines might cause some interference with the test results.
At Apollo Clinic, we understand the value of timely and accurate diagnosis, which is why we provide state-of-the-art ECG equipment, along with possessing highly trained cardiologists, internists, surgeons and nurses, in order to cater to every medical need.